Business Venture builds momentum
Venture Contracts is a specialist construction recruitment agency located in the Midlands. Started in 2013 by Directors Emma Charles, Laura Mitchell and Claire O’Hagan-Cooper, the company has grown from a team of four to a family of 16, to become one of the leading recruiters of construction workers across the UK.
Since inception, the company has supported thousands of building projects, from housing developments to large commercial expansions, through the sourcing, vetting and placement of contractors. Venture Contracts provides the best candidate experience possible whilst fulfilling its candidate delivery obligations based on the underlying business needs of its clients, to ensure projects are delivered on time, on budget and with the right people involved.
In September 2018, Venture moved premises to a purpose-built office complex on Queensbridge in Northampton. Covering two expansive storeys the new building allowed them to instantly appoint two new recruitment consultants as well as restructure their current operation to reflect the three divisions, “Manage/Build/Clean” allowing for an increase in client and candidate support. This move also future proofed their operation – helping to plan for the next phase of development and projected growth.
Stereotypically the construction recruitment industry’s reputation has been more about numbers and a quick turnaround, than people and partnerships. While construction is perceived as male orientated, uncommunicative and conservative, at Venture Contracts they decided to challenge these preconceptions head-on, turning the negatives into positives.
Venture on raising the standard
- We ensure the individual’s best interests are covered, meaning we don’t double-up on responsibilities and compromise the outcome. We have account managers and candidate managers – resulting in greater trust being placed in Venture Contracts, evidenced by the high levels of staff, candidate and client retention.
- We carry out face-to-face meetings, background checks and insist on references for every candidate, as we take our legal responsibilities incredibly seriously. All candidates must have a ‘right to work’ and CSCS/CPSC certification as a minimum.
- Our staff know exactly what is expected of them. They receive regular training sessions and are measured and rewarded against targets met – this includes adhering to protocol, as well as contracts filled, and new business sourced.
- We implement a ‘7.30am 1st day check-in service’ to ensures a smooth start for the candidate, while offering flexibility on any last-minute client requirements - resulting in positive feedback from clients and candidates.
- Our candidate relationships extend beyond work placements. We are committed to supporting and developing our operatives on courses including CPCS, First Aid and Management & Supervisory Tickets.
- Whilst we supply nationwide, we are conscious & committed to the environmental impact of our business, as well as our clients Carbon footprint and environmental KPI’s, so ensure local operatives are used on local projects.
Building partnership and breaking down barriers
- We work hard to ensure the partnerships we form are long-lasting. We reward our staff with days out, bonus incentives, fun, non-corporate, unorthodox working culture but we also invite our clients to join us on many events. So, from race days to trips to London for Crystal Maze experience our teams/partnerships are treated and thanked – resulting in loyalty, goodwill and better working relationships.
- We are ‘humanising’ the recruitment process through our social media campaigns, helping to showcase our talent to our clients and candidates.
- We see our staff for the people they are. We have implemented shorter working days or flexible working arrangements for those with external commitments.
- We pay well! We know that goodwill will only go so far and at the end of the day, people work to live. As such we negotiate great rates of pay for our contractors and in turn, pay above market rates for our employees.
In summary at Venture Contracts they know their success is directly linked to the people they employ, the candidates they source and the clients they work with, their family – as ultimately it is their professionalism, skills and passion which are helping them change the reputation of the recruitment industry from the inside out.
“Venture Contracts is a values-based company. We are determined to disrupt the reputation the recruitment and construction industries have garnered over the past decades. Run by three female directors with over 50 years’ experience between us, our approach is one of partnership, communication, fun and professionalism. We want to be known for our ability to really understand the business needs of our clients, while also sourcing the best roles and renumeration packages possible for our candidates. We see our industry as one that is interdependent on the people involved and relationships formed – a formula that has seen real business success in the last 5 years and a positive shift in the way people now view construction recruitment.”
For more information visit www.venturecontracts.co.uk